Synchronicity!

I recently posted about my first-ever reading (Hexagram 33 --> 19) with all six lines changing, which indicated a need to "do a 180" turnaround from retreat to forward movement. I received this reading on July 21st. Later that day, I was paging through the weekend comics and saw this:



I nearly fell off my chair, I was laughing so hard. I was also reminded of what Carl Jung wrote about synchronicity in his forward to Wilhelm's translation of the I Ching:

...synchronicity takes the coincidence of events in space and time as meaning something more than mere chance, namely, a peculiar interdependence of objective events among themselves as well as with the subjective (psychic) states of the observer... (pg. xxiv)

I also started to wonder how Hexagram 33's six changing lines could relate to the comic -- how Mooch the cat's naptime "180" could illustrate the changes from 33 to 19:

Line 1: "...the lowest line represents the tail and the top line the head....This is dangerous..." -- Perhaps Mooch's tail-tip is tickling his nose, and disturbs his snooze. However, the oracle also suggests that "danger is avoided by keeping still." We all know how cats like to be still...until something zaps their attention ...

Line 2: Mooch is still "hampered," perhaps by doziness, or by that tickly tail-tip.

Line 3: "A halted retreat is nerve-wracking..." Does Mooch sneeze? Does he have a cramp in his leg? Has a bug buzzed by his face?

Line 4: "I need to turn my life around!" --> "Voluntary retreat brings good fortune to the superior [cat]..."

Line 5: "Friendly retreat." "You have seen the wisdom of retreating now and must act decisively." Mooch turns around!

Line 6: "You are correct in retreating, and your path will open up before you." "Here, one knows exactly what to do." Zzzz...

(Comic: "Mutts," by Patrick O'Donnell; July 20, 2008.)

Comments

Popular Posts