Hexagram 39 -- OBSTRUCTION


It may be that when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work, and when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings.

(Wendell Berry)


It's amazing how our perspective expands and matures with repeated musings on the I Ching. Once upon a time, I saw Hexagram 39 as one of the "bad" ones -- Impediment! Obstruction! Something in the way! Yech! Today, I came upon this highlighted quotation from Wendell Berry in Gregg Levoy's wonderful book, Callings: Finding and Following an Authentic Life ... and I had a wee giggle. The older I get, the more I realize that I don't know what to do; I know that my real work is to love, love, and love some more; the journey is every movement and moment ... and my mind is baffled most of the time! In fact, I've come to enjoy bafflement; it comes to me as a spice that wonder releases ... as "Wow!" and "Who knew!" and humility.

Hexagram 39 reminds me that what gets in my way, almost all the time, is ... me. Hexagram 38, CONTRADICTION, highlights our human propensity to binary, comparative, either/or thinking. Hex. 39 shows where our tussles with reality can end up: in a wild, rocky, mucked-up stoppage. Nowhere to go ... or so we think. We're stuck, stilted, possibly furious at what looks like a dead end. And it's there ... in what is really a void ... that we can turn ourselves out and around, to see the possibility of liberation. Much of the time, what we see as muddy, occluded and in our way is the way ... beyond.


(Truck photo: http://www.rc-offroad.com/)

Comments

Karin Bartimole said…
Yes, yes, yes!! There is so much wonderment in the bafflement! and inspiration, creativity, and invention. Usually it begins with some form of struggle for me, but it's one that I've learned to have faith in as part of a greater process, and only one piece in it.
Great quote and thoughts for today's inspiration. Thanks,
Karin
Jaliya said…
You're welcome ... :-)

Isn't it funny how we tend to fight against anything new ... even when it's a creative force that wants to express through us. I know that I often get stuck in the mud ... and it's mud of my own making ... !
Unknown said…
Thank you for your insight. It's brilliant!! You're a true romantic at heart as well I believe. The words you put in your blog is all very touching. Can't get any better than this.

Popular Posts